Extremely Interesting other Pages

Friday, October 28, 2011

Shakin' it up

For a long time I was eating oatmeal for breakfast every single day. There are so many articles out there saying that oatmeal in the morning will keep you satisfied all day and it's good for you, etc. And everyone keeps saying that eating breakfast "kick starts" your metabolism (also known as thermogenesis)- which I also believed for a long time.  The truth is you have a basal metabolic rate that continues no matter what - sure, it speeds up when you eat something because of the process of thermogenesis, but you can get the same effect from having some ice cold water or lifting weights even.  And really, I'm not that hungry in the morning - not until around 10:30ish.  And the oatmeal, well it's still a carb and if you have the tendency to pack on pounds with carbs like I do, doing away with it for something else is probably a good thing.  So, I decided to go to a happy medium place and drink protein shakes for breakfast. It gets rid of the heavy carbs, gives me some protein and puts some padding in my belly to get me through to lunch. Nothing miraculous has happened to my weight but I am saving a few calories and a lot of carbs by ditching the oatmeal every day. Plus it tastes like dessert if you make it right  - not a bad way to start the day.


My favorite protein shake recipe
1 cup low fat milk
1 cup water
1 tbsp All natural peanut butter (or this amazing peanut butter powder I found on amazon - no oil, only the ground peanuts)
1 small banana
tsp ground flaxseed
packet of stevia or sweetener
ice

My mom gave me this awesome one serving blender thing where the blender cup has various attachments so you can use the blade attachment to blend in the machine and then another attachment to drink it up afterwards. Easy peasy.

No comments:

Post a Comment

So..what do you have to say about all this?