Extremely Interesting other Pages

Saturday, January 28, 2012

DIY workout equipment

So they say necessity is the mother of invention - well for me necessity is losing a few lbs..per my usual! So I invented something.
For any of you that remember my post about bodyrock.tv, there are a lot of web resources that provide some good home workouts.  Many of those require having a medicine ball, or kettle ball, or even a sandbag special for working out like bodyrock routines often call for.  So, since all those things are really expensive out here and I already spend money on a gym membership - I thought I would just make my own! (and my gym doesn't even have a kettle ball and the medicine ball they have was leather bound and it is so old and nasty that when you touch it, your hand turns black and all this nasty dust and debris gets in your eyes and mouth..ugh)

So, to make my own sandbag/kettle ball/medicine ball - I went to the supermarket and looked at giant bags of grains.  The cheapest was the Maize - corn meal. They had 5kg bags ($2.50) and 10 kg bags ($3.50). That's like 10 and 20 pounds (little more).  So I bought one of each, and a roll of duct tape.  Total bill - $9.You use any grain or rice or if you are somewhere where you can get bags of sand, soil or salt for cheap, you could use that too.You could even fill your own bag with dirt/pebbles from the backyard and just weigh it.

Okay so here's what ensued:

What the bags of  maize meal look like before - this is the 5kg one - the smaller one - I made sure to choose brands that have handles

for the smaller one - i was a bit smarter - I first put a plastic bag around it and turned it upside down to make sure all the slack was at the bottom and could be taped up.  When the slack is at the top near the handle, when you go to use the handle it sort of rips up all that slack - which is no good.  .

I did the large one first, I left the real handle out and then made a couple more handles on the sides with the tape - so it can be used with two hands for doing rows or two handed  kettle ball swings..but then it has the one handle side of one-handed moves.
baby and mama

It could definitely also be used as a medicine ball to do push ups on or sit ups with additional weight - oh the options are just endless! You could sit on it - or even use it as a cup holder while you are watching tv and eating ice cream. That sounds better.
 So there you have it! I have another post I want to do about DIY workout equipment - i saw the coolest little gym at the beach that this kid made completely on his own. These people are resourceful - you wouldn't believe it.

okay, so now you have no excuse for not getting your arse in shape!
Enjoy!
xoxo

4 comments:

  1. my ultimate survivor wife! You are so creative babe. Now I know who to ask about wrapping up our luggage when traveling overseas :) Love you and I am extremely proud of you for your ingenuity.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Fitness equipment at home that gives you the ability to replicate the exercise in a gym without paying monthly fees or homebound conditioning .best home gym equipment Many pieces of exercise equipment sold for home use can be used to perform various body parts. cheap home gym machines

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hey what a brilliant post I have come across and believe me I have been searching out for this similar kind of post for past a week and hardly came across this. Thank you very much and will look for more postings from you. http://farmequipmentandtractors.com/

    ReplyDelete

So..what do you have to say about all this?